Getting Energy From The Ocean Floor
A group of companies are coming together to create a new kind of power generator that would harvest energy from currents found at oceans' deepest depths.
Article written by guest writer Kecia Lynn
What's the Latest Development?
A consortium of companies, including Eaton Corporation, Triton, and others, are in the process of building the first-ever collection system designed to harvest energy from the currents found in the depths of Earth's oceans. Triton will build the 1-megawatt turbine that will sit on the seafloor, and Eaton will design the software and connections that will bring the energy to the grid. It's the latest in a series of recent ocean energy initiatives which include September's launch of the first tidal power station for Maine.
What's the Big Idea?
Eaton executive Jim Spaulding explains the importance of viewing ocean currents as a possible source of renewable power: "[They] are generated by differences in the ocean's salinity and temperature around the continents [and] run at a constant speed of about 3 to 5 knots. That's the appeal: [they're] very, very consistent." One possible spot for the first demonstration of the system is somewhere off the coast of Florida, where strong currents are available at easily-accessible depths. According to Eaton representatives, "the 1-MW demonstration project could easily be built up to a utility-scale current farm by adding more turbines."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
- Human beings are psychologically hardwired to fear differences
- Several recent studies show evidence that digital spaces exacerbate the psychology which contributes to tribalism
- Shared experiences of awe, such as space travel, or even simple shared meals, have surprising effectives for uniting opposing groups
How to talk to kids responsibly about drugs.
- The majority of kids are going to experiment with drugs at some point in their lives, mostly in their teens and early 20s.
- While many parents might balk at allowing their children to experiment, it's important to remember that not all drugs are the same.
- There are some warning signs,, however. Neuroscience journalist Maia Szalavitz walks us through some of the signs to look out for.
There are many ways to posit the fundamental nature of reality.
- After thousands of years, and an infinite amount of novel experiences, there are today many dueling schools of philosophical thought.
- A great philosophical background takes into account a number of metaphysical positions and ideas.
- These 10 philosophy books all take on the questions of existence in a unique and varied manner.
Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs is updated for the 21st century in a new study.
- Maslow's famous "Hierarchy of Needs" describes different levels of human motivation.
- A new study updates the hierarchy through modern methods.
- The research shows that self-actualized people share 10 specific traits.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.