Genetics Then & Now
The matriarch of modern cancer genetics doubts her career would be possible today: "I was doing observationally driven research. That’s a kiss of death if you’re looking for funding today."
The matriarch of modern cancer genetics on whether the type of career she had would be possible today: "No. I was doing observationally driven research. That’s the kiss of death if you’re looking for funding today. We’re so fixated now on hypothesis-driven research that if you do what I did, it would be called a "fishing expedition," a bad thing. ...I keep saying that fishing is good. You’re fishing because you want to know what’s there." Without her 1970s finding that broken and translocated chromosomes were a factor in blood cancers, we might not have the treatments for leukemia that are commonplace today.
No, the Syrian civil war is not over. But it might be soon. Time for a recap
- The War in Syria has dropped off the radar, but it's not over (yet)
- This 1-minute video shows how the fronts have moved – and stabilised – over the past 22 months
Entrepreneur and author Andrew Horn shares his rules for becoming an assured conversationalist.
- To avoid basing action on external validation, you need to find your "authentic voice" and use it.
- Finding your voice requires asking the right questions of yourself.
- There are 3-5 questions that you would generally want to ask people you are talking to.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.