Fur Apparel Sales Are Now Illegal In West Hollywood
An ordinance passed by the city council went into effect earlier this month, making West Hollywood the first municipality in the US, and possibly the world, to ban the selling of fur. Not surprisingly, high-end retailers aren't happy.
What's the Latest Development?
This month, two years after its city council passed the ordinance, California's West Hollywood became the first city in the US, and possibly the entire world, to officially ban fur sales within its borders. The law applies to "apparel that's made to be worn, such as shoes, hats and gloves that contain any fur." Leather goods can still be sold, as well as used fur such as that found in secondhand stores.
What's the Big Idea?
The new law follows in a long tradition of animal rights initiatives passed by West Hollywood officials, including a ban on declawing cats that inspired several other California cities to follow suit. Supporters of the ban, including mayor pro tempore John D'Amico, cite studies from People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals and other organizations that they say prove fur cannot be produced ethically. Meanwhile, although the many high-end retailers in the area say they will follow the law, they worry that they will lose business to nearby Hollywood and Beverly Hills. One gown designer has already closed shop and is in the process of moving to New York, partially because of the ban.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.