France's Liberal Sexuality Extends to Its Presidency
While in American and the UK, having a picturesque family life is considered practically essential for holding the highest office, it confers no political gain on French politicians.
What's the Latest Development?
Whichever of the two likely candidates wins France's presidential election, already underway, the familial situation inside the presidential palace will be complicated, not that the electorate is paying much attention to that. Incumbent president Nicolas Sarkozy has children from three different women. His challenger, Socialist Party candidate Francoise Hollande, has a new partner and four kids with a former presidential candidate, though the two never wed. Still, given the political culture in France, neither candidate considers his parental status to be a campaign issue.
What's the Big Idea?
The French newspaper Le Temps compares its country's political culture to Britain where "marriage and the picture of a united and happy family are prerequisites for political success" and says that such political partnerships are unthinkable in America where "where marital hypocrisy is established as a system". It seems that in the French view of things, politicians are allowed to have personal faults just like the rest of us, and that private behavior is judged apart from policy decisions. What do you think accounts for America's obsession with its politicians' private lives?
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.