For Some US Cities, An Underwater Future Is All But Certain
A new paper claims that even if all global carbon emissions stopped tomorrow, it would take time for the world's temperature to normalize, by which time sea levels will have already risen over some coastal areas.
What's the Latest Development?
A paper published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences this week claims that based on current greenhouse gas emission rates, by 2100 at least 1,700 coastal cities and towns in the US will be unable to avoid a future underwater. The paper doesn't provide an exact date as to when they will be submerged, but its author, Climate Central researcher Benjamin Strauss, says that even if all emissions stopped tomorrow, "Fort Lauderdale, Miami Gardens, Hoboken, New Jersey will be under sea level...We are locking in hundreds more [cities] as we continue to emit carbon into the atmosphere."
What's the Big Idea?
The "locked-in" concept takes into account the amount of time required for the world's climate to normalize after efforts to reduce emissions have been made. That time won't be enough to save many cities, according to the study. Florida is in special danger, with the point of no return predicted to occur within the next 30 to 50 years. At least one government agency is already taking action: The Pentagon is planning for a future in which they may have to relocate the country's largest naval base from its Norfolk, VA home.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.