First (Migrant) Aussie Female PM
“The greatness of Australia was on display...when a migrant woman became the nation's 27th prime minister”, The Australian newspaper writes of new leader Julia Gillard.
"The greatness of Australia was on display...when a migrant woman became the nation's 27th prime minister", The Australian newspaper writes of new leader Julia Gillard. "It demonstrates in Australia everybody has the right, and more often than not the opportunity, to make the most of their abilities...character, competence and hard work rather than gender, place of birth or assumptions of entitlement determine destiny." But Gillard must "pull her party back to the issues that matter most to ordinary Australians - the economy and national security, how much tax they pay and the quality of education their children receive."
Upstreamism advocate Rishi Manchanda calls us to understand health not as a "personal responsibility" but a "common good."
- Upstreamism tasks health care professionals to combat unhealthy social and cultural influences that exist outside — or upstream — of medical facilities.
- Patients from low-income neighborhoods are most at risk of negative health impacts.
- Thankfully, health care professionals are not alone. Upstreamism is increasingly part of our cultural consciousness.
- Oumuamua, a quarter-mile long asteroid tumbling through space, is Hawaiian for "scout", or "the first of many".
- It was given this name because it came from another solar system.
- Some claimed Oumuamua was an alien technology, but there's no actual evidence for that.
America isn't immune to attempts to remove books from libraries and schools, here are ten frequent targets and why you ought to go check them out.
- Even in America, books are frequently challenged and removed from schools and public libraries.
- Every year, the American Library Association puts on Banned Books Week to draw attention to this fact.
- Some of the books they include on their list of most frequently challenged are some of the greatest, most beloved, and entertaining books there are.
Upvote the video, or videos, you want to win.
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in. And note: We'll only count upvotes (not downvotes).
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.