Fighting Over Little Words
Should more be done to limit companies like Apple from staking claims to generic words and phrases? What's the harm in this kind of appropriation of language?
TechDirt: "We've covered the ongoing legal fight over who can use the phrase 'app store' to describe their store for apps, and the NY Times is highlighting how there's a 'great language land grab' concerning this and other similar legal battles. But the real issue is that this is simply an abuse of trademark law — an abuse brought on by a few decades of people falsely telling the world that concepts and words can be 'owned.' Trademark law, of course, was never supposed to be about 'ownership.' It was always designed as a consumer protection statute, to avoid consumer confusion."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.