Farming: Bill Gates' Next Project
It is a horrible irony when many of the world's farmers, supplying food to local and global markets, are themselves on the verge of starvation, says Gates. We need another green revolution.
What's the Latest Development?
Gates has invested more than two billion dollars to help the world's poorest farmers increase their productivity. In his annual letter from the Bill & Melinda Gates foundation, he renews his concentration on agricultural investment, saying that a modest amount of research now could yield the next green revolution. "If we invest relatively modest amounts, many more poor farmers will be able to feed their families," he says. "If we don't, one in seven people will continue living needlessly on the edge of starvation."
What's the Big Idea?
Agricultural investment could result in two gains of great interest to Gates: An increase in food supply, greatly needed by rising populations, and an improvement in farmers' quality of life, creating a more stable base for poor societies. When farmers can concern themselves with more than just finding the day's rations, they can make plans for the future. Given a modicum of savings, families can send their children to school. And food is strongly connected to another of Gates' worries: basic health.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Pfizer's partnerships strengthen their ability to deliver vaccines in developing countries.
- Community healthcare workers face many challenges in their work, including often traveling far distances to see their clients
- Pfizer is helping to drive the UN's sustainable development goals through partnerships.
- Pfizer partnered with AMP and the World Health Organization to develop a training program for healthcare workers.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
Giving our solar system a "slap in the face."
- A stream of galactic debris is hurtling at us, pulling dark matter along with it
- It's traveling so quickly it's been described as a hurricane of dark matter
- Scientists are excited to set their particle detectors at the onslffaught
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.