Fairy Tale Endings
"In fairy tales, 'good' triumphs over 'evil,' but how this happens isn’t simple. It’s quite common for traditional fairy tales to have complicated, even troubling, conclusions."
"It’s quite common for traditional fairy tales to have complicated, even troubling, conclusions...where innocent princesses get the prince only if they torment and kill their adversaries. What Disney did...was give us what we really want from 'happily ever after': an ending with no guilt, no loose ends. An ending where hope is resolved. Maybe that’s why all other Snow Whites and Cinderellas disappear in the face of Disney's. Orson Welles said that a happy ending depends on where you stop your story. Walt Disney’s genius was that he knew just when, and how, we like our endings. Not with hope but satisfaction."
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
Journaling can help you materialize your ambitions.
- Organizing your thoughts can help you plan and achieve goals that might otherwise seen unobtainable.
- The Bullet Journal method, in particular, can reduce clutter in your life by helping you visualize your future.
- One way to view your journal might be less of a narrative and more of a timeline of decisions.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.