Facebook Changes Your Email Address, Tests Potentially Creepy App
The social networking king is extending its reach by givings all users an @facebook.com email address and testing a mobile app that allows you to find users in the same physical vicinity.
What's the Latest Development?
Though Facebook's IPO scored billions (and underwhelmed Wall Street speculators), the social media giant is taking no breathers. The company has just replaced all its users' email addresses with a new @facebook.com email, which will route all communications to its own Messages inbox. Facebook has also tested a new app, "Find Friends Nearby," which allows you to find other Facebook users in the same physical vicinity. Facebook engineer Ryan Patterson said that the feature "was meant to help you connect with people you’ve just met while you’re out at an event, not necessarily find new people..."
What's the Big Idea?
If you insist your personal email be linked with and displayed on your Facebook account, the change is easy enough to make: "edit Contact Info, then select the facebook.com email to be 'hidden from timeline.' Select another to be 'shown on timeline,' if you desire." Facebook's "Find Friends Nearby" app, an attempt by the company to strengthen its users' mobile experience, is likely to face stronger questions as location-based friend finders approach the creepy line. "And a giant social network company that has already suffered privacy blows will need to be extra sensitive as not to upset its users."
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A new study explores how certain personality traits affect individuals' attitudes on obesity in others.
- The study compared personality traits and obesity views among more than 3,000 mothers.
- The results showed that the personality traits neuroticism and extraversion are linked to more negative views and behaviors related to obesity.
- People who scored high in conscientiousness are more likely to experience "fat phobia.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
The history of the Geneva Conventions tells us how the international community draws the line on brutality.
- Henry Dunant's work led to the Red Cross and conventions on treating prisoners humanely.
- Four Geneva Conventions defined the rules for prisoners of war, torture, naval and medical personnel and more.
- Amendments to the agreements reflect the modern world but have not been ratified by all countries.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.