Exercise Trumps the Obesity Gene
Our genes may have a lot to do with the way we look and behave, but they certainly don't dictate our destiny. That's true when it comes to our weight too, say researchers.
What's the Latest Development?
British researcher have found that people genetically predisposed to having weight problems can counter the influence of their D.N.A. by doing even moderate amounts of exercise. Scientists at the Institute of Metabolic Science in the U.K. reported that "having a copy of an F.T.O. variation [a gene associated with obesity] increased an adult's risk of obesity by about 30%. But if that person exercised, it cut the risk to 22%—a 27% drop in risk." Kinds of exercise included walking the dog, riding a bike or gardening.
What's the Big Idea?
Scientists are still not certain how exercise affects obesity-related genes but they think physical activity might trigger changes in gene expression, suppressing genes linked to obesity while activating health-promoting ones. Ruth Loos, who led the research, says: "This should convince people who think that their weight is in their genes, and sit back and say they can't do anything about it, that they can so something about it." Regardless of whether you inherited obesity-related genes, exercise improves physical and mental health.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Evolution doesn't clean up after itself very well.
- An evolutionary biologist got people swapping ideas about our lingering vestigia.
- Basically, this is the stuff that served some evolutionary purpose at some point, but now is kind of, well, extra.
- Here are the six traits that inaugurated the fun.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.