Eurozone a Bunch of Sovereign States
Political paralysis in Brussels, monetary tightening by the ECB and soaring rates for Portuguese, Irish and Greek bonds — the omens for the Eurozone summit are not good.
Political paralysis in Brussels, monetary tightening by the ECB and soaring rates for Portuguese, Irish and Greek bonds — the omens for today's crucial Eurozone summit on how to head off the deepening economic crisis are not good. ...Olli Rehn, the EU economics commissioner, has been pleading for a policy shift to lessen the burden on debt-stricken states. However, EU leaders have the final say on the terms of the rescue machinery, and they are answering to their own angry electorates. The eurozone remains a collection of sovereign states. That is the nub of the matter.
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.