"Europe used to be, within the living memory of many of us, the cockpit of world power, prosperity and prestige. Today it is raw material for an ouija board," writes Walter Lacquer.
"Europe used to be, within the living memory of many of us, the cockpit of world power, prosperity and prestige. Today it is raw material for an ouija board," writes Walter Lacquer. "What will Europe be like ten or twenty years from now? With a little luck it will gradually recover from its present economic difficulties. With a little luck, too, the domestic transformation resulting from the changes in its ethnic composition will be gradual and relatively peaceful. "
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
Air pollution up to five times over the EU limit in Central London hotspots
- Dirty air is an invisible killer, but an effective one.
- This map visualises the worst places to breathe in Central London.
The Great Smog of 1952
Invisible, but still deadly
Image: MONEY SHARMA/AFP/Getty Images
London Mayor Sadiq Khan
Image: Transport for London
ULEZ phases 1 and 2, and LEZ
- Mr Khan has pledged to spend £800 million on air quality over a five-year period.
- Uber fares will rise by 15p (20¢) to help drivers buy electric cars.
- By October 2021, the ULEZ will expand to cover a greater part of Central London.
Central London's worst places for breathing
Heathrow (bottom left on the overview map) is another pollution hotspot
Image: Mike Malone, CC BY SA 4.0
Traffic congestion on London's Great Portland Street
As bad as Delhi, worse than New York
Image: Sanchit Khanna/Hindustan Times via Getty Images
By some measures, London's air quality is almost as bad as New Delhi's.
Google joins fight against air pollution
Image: laszlo-photo, CC BY SA 2.0
Elephant & Castle, London.
Meanwhile, Spaniards are the least likely to say their culture is superior to others.
- Survey by Pew Research Center shows great variation in chauvinism across Europe.
- Eight most chauvinist countries are in the east, and include Russia.
White-nose syndrome is nearly as lethal to bats as the Black Plague was for humans.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.