Eruptions from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano have, historically, always been followed by eruptions from Iceland's much larger volcano, Katla. Could the "angry sister" be getting ready to blow?
While the ash cloud from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano eruption has already caused mass inconvenience in Europe, historically its eruptions have always been followed by those of Iceland's other, much larger, volcano, Katla. Known as one of the "Angry Sisters," Katla has erupted 16 times since 930 AD. Data do not suggest that an eruption from Katla is imminent, but scientists suggest that it is of great concern.
Sharon Salzberg, world-renowned mindfulness leader, teaches meditation at Big Think Edge.
- Try meditation for the first time with this guided lesson or, if you already practice, enjoy being guided by a world-renowned meditation expert.
- Sharon Salzberg teaches mindfulness meditation for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
A new computer model solves a pair of Jovian riddles.
- Astronomers have wondered how a gas giant like Jupiter could sit in the middle of our solar system's planets.
- Also unexplained has been the pair of asteroid clusters in front of and behind Jupiter in its orbit.
- Putting the two questions together revealed the answer to both.
They didn't know it, but the rituals of Iron Age Scandinavians turned their iron into steel.
- Iron Age Scandinavians only had access to poor quality iron, which put them at a tactical disadvantage against their neighbors.
- To strengthen their swords, smiths used the bones of their dead ancestors and animals, hoping to transfer the spirit into their blades.
- They couldn't have known that in so doing, they actually were forging a rudimentary form of steel.
Artists and fans are the big losers as bot-powered scalpers make a killing.
- The secondary ticketing market is predicted to grow to $15.19 billion next year.
- Artists, athletes, management, and venues see none of this revenue—it all goes to scalpers and ticketing agencies.
- Some companies are likely in breach of anti-trust laws, but no one seems to be regulating the industry.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.