Energy Drinks Improve Your Heart's Performance
While health concerns have been expressed over the effects of energy drinks on blood pressure, caffeine and taurine may actually improve how certain parts of the heart function.
What's the Latest Development?
Energy drinks improve certain heart functions, specifically left and right ventricular functions, according to a new study out of the University of Siena, Italy. In the study, 35 healthy individuals were given 168ml of an energy drink containing both caffeine and taurine. Results show that "energy drinks enhance contractions of both the left and right ventricles, thereby delivering a positive effect on myocardial function," said Dr. Matteo Cameli, who led the study. "This could be explained by the inotropic effect of taurine that, as previously demonstrated, stimulates the release of calcium from the sarcoplasmic reticulum."
What's the Big Idea?
As the market for energy drinks has risen to stratospheric levels in recent years, along with the heart rates of those who drink them, health concerns have been expressed over their effects, such as increased blood pressure and the release of calcium from the heart. And while preliminary studies do show positive results, "future studies need to focus on whether such benefits persist after long term consumption of energy drinks, and what the effects are of consuming these drinks during physical activity." Researchers say energy drinks are typically taken during all-night study sessions and to gain an advantage in sport.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Prejudice is typically perpetrated against 'the other', i.e. a group outside our own.
- But ageism is prejudice against ourselves — at least, the people we will (hopefully!) become.
- Different generations needs to cooperate now more than ever to solve global problems.
The controversial herbicide is everywhere, apparently.
- U.S. PIRG tested 20 beers and wines, including organics, and found Roundup's active ingredient in almost all of them.
- A jury on August 2018 awarded a non-Hodgkin's lymphoma victim $289 million in Roundup damages.
- Bayer/Monsanto says Roundup is totally safe. Others disagree.
The team caught a glimpse of a process that takes 18,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years.
- In Italy, a team of scientists is using a highly sophisticated detector to hunt for dark matter.
- The team observed an ultra-rare particle interaction that reveals the half-life of a xenon-124 atom to be 18 sextillion years.
- The half-life of a process is how long it takes for half of the radioactive nuclei present in a sample to decay.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.