Economy, Business, First Class...And Soon, Residence Class
Etihad Airways plans to offer a private multi-room cabin -- complete with living room, shower and butler service -- on its Airbus A380 passenger planes. Cost for a flight from Abu Dhabi to London: about US$20,000.
What's the Latest Development?
This December, the official airline of the United Arab Emirates will begin offering a new flight class for those who don't want to pull their private jet out of its hangar but who find first class terribly cramped. "The Residence," to be built into the upper deck of Etihad Airways' Airbus A380 fleet, is a 125-square-foot cabin that will contain a living room, bedroom, and shower. Available to one or two passengers at a time, the "flying apartment" will have full wi-fi, two TVs, and a Panasonic eX3 entertainment system. As if that's not enough, it will also come with a dedicated butler who's received special training from London's prestigious Savoy Butler Academy.
What's the Big Idea?
Etihad says it's the first airline to take commercial passenger travel to this kind of level. According to COO Peter Baumgartner, "This is the culmination of five years of intensive effort and research into how Etihad Airways can provide an unparalleled VIP experience." The service will begin with the Abu Dhabi-London route, and travelers who want to try it out should be prepared to cough up about US$20,000.
Photo Credit: Etihad Airways
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.