"It will never be a substitute for proper carbon-taxing, but eco-labelling is a development to be welcomed."
"Carbon footprint labelling might not have achieved the same visibility on Britain's supermarket shelves as Fairtrade products which give a higher price to small producers in developing countries. The newer eco-labelling scheme does not have so wide a range of products. But the new Carbon Reduction Label, with its distinctive black footprint logo, will be attached to £2bn worth of products by the end of this year because of the volume of goods being turned over by giant brands like Walkers crisps, Kingsmill bread and Tate & Lyle sugar. The footprint logo is a small but important step."
Firefighters in California are still struggling to contain several wildfires nearly one week after they broke out.
- Hundreds of people are still missing after three wildfires spread across Northern and Southern California last week.
- 48 of the 50 deaths occurred after the Camp Fire blazed through the town of Paradise, north of Sacramento.
- On Tuesday night, a fourth wildfire broke out, though it's mostly contained.
We know the dangers of too little sleep. Now for the other side of the story.
- Western University researchers found that sleeping over eight hours per night results in cognitive decline.
- Oversleepers suffer similar difficulties on certain cognitive tests as those who sleep under seven hours.
- Not all the news is bad: One night of oversleeping results in a cognitive boost.
Protected animals are feared to be headed for the black market.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.