Do Men Really Think About Sex Every Seven Seconds?
Thanks to modern folklore, many of us believe that men think about sex every seven seconds, amounting to 514 sexual thoughts per hour, or 7,200 each day. If that seems high to you, you're not alone.
What's the Latest?
Thanks to modern folklore, many of us believe that men think about sex every seven seconds, amounting to 514 sexual thoughts per hour, or 7,200 each day. If that seems high to you, you're not alone. Tom Stafford, Lecturer in Psychology and Cognitive Science at the University of Sheffield, UK, decided to examine the ways that scientists measure the frequency of our thoughts. In one study conducted at Ohio State University, scientists distributed handheld counters called "clickers" and instructed volunteers to record each time they had a sexual thought. On average, the men had about 19 sexual thoughts per day; the women, about 10.
What's the Big Idea?
Because volunteers in the OSU study were given instructions to record their sexual thoughts specifically, Stafford argues that the frequency of having sexual thoughts was bound to increase (due to a phenomenon called "the white bear" problem). A different study, this time conducted by Wilhelm Hoffman in Germany, found a much lower frequency of recorded sexual thoughts. When individuals were sent text messages at random times of day and simply asked to record their thoughts (without specific reference to sexuality), sex was a less frequent subject of thought than food, sleep, coffee, personal hygiene, and television programs.
When it comes to statistical surveys that try to get inside our head, the devil is in the details.
Read more at BBC Future
Photo credit: Ollyy/Shutterstock
What can 3D printing do for medicine? The "sky is the limit," says Northwell Health researcher Dr. Todd Goldstein.
- Medical professionals are currently using 3D printers to create prosthetics and patient-specific organ models that doctors can use to prepare for surgery.
- Eventually, scientists hope to print patient-specific organs that can be transplanted safely into the human body.
- Northwell Health, New York State's largest health care provider, is pioneering 3D printing in medicine in three key ways.
How many abortions are actually performed? Numbers reveal the complexity in the raging debate.
- The American society is close to split on the legality of abortions.
- 45,789,558 abortions were carried out in the U.S. between 1970 and 2015.
- The abortion numbers are at an all-time low now, trending almost half of what they were.
The most valuable college majors will prepare students for a world right out a science fiction novel.
- The future of work is going to require a range of skills learned that take into account cutting edge advancements in technology and science.
- The most valuable college majors in the future will prepare students for new economies and areas of commerce.
- Mathematics, engineering and science related educational majors will become an ubiqitous feature of the new job market.
The phenomenon that makes our favourite drinks bubbly is, alarmingly, the same one that causes decompression sickness in divers. Why do we still love it?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.