Discoveries Are Getting Harder
"If you look back on history, you get the sense that scientific discoveries used to be easy. Today, it takes ever more money, more effort, and more people to find out new things."
"If you look back on history, you get the sense that scientific discoveries used to be easy. Today, it takes ever more money, more effort, and more people to find out new things." The Boston Globe examines the scientific study of science called scientometrics and finds that the rate of discovery in a given field declines over time. "Until recently, no one actually tried to measure the increasing difficulty of discovery. It certainly seems to be getting harder, but how much harder? How fast does it change? This type of research, studying the science of science, is in fact a field of science itself, and is known as scientometrics..."
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.