The key to surviving global warming will be to develop an economy that empowers the impoverished to meet global clean-energy demands.
The key to surviving global warming will be to develop an economy that empowers the impoverished to meet global clean-energy demands. "A big part of any linkage between fighting climate change and poverty alleviation will be building a more comprehensive energy infrastructure. 'When hundreds of millions [of Indians] don't have access to electricity, it's unrealistic to expect India to cut growth,' noted Jyoti Parikh, executive director of Integrated Research and Action for Development, a think tank, via videoconference from New Delhi. 'People got a free ride because of delay [in combating climate change], and those who delayed did not have anything to pay later in any way.... Whatever has happened has affected our [global] carbon budget.' But economic growth can be paired with climate change solutions. For example, the Indian government has instituted a goal of 20,000 megawatts of new solar power installations by 2022. 'With the solar energy program, the strongest pressure is not from green groups,' Desai noted. 'The corporate sector in India is showing huge interest in getting into this area.'"
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Arranged marriages and Western romantic practices have more in common than we might think.
In his book In Praise of Love (2009), the French communist philosopher Alain Badiou attacks the notion of 'risk-free love', which he sees written in the commercial language of dating services that promise their customers 'love, without falling in love'.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.