Cuba Goes Capitalist
In a dramatic attempt by Cuba to shift its nearly bankrupt economy toward a more market-oriented system, the government will lay off more than five-hundred thousand workers.
"Cuba is one of the last true Communist economic systems in the world, a place where the state dominates nearly all spheres of life. Foreign investment is restricted to joint ventures with the government and limited to some sectors like tourism and oil. After running up a huge current-account deficit in 2009, Cuba has had to cut back sharply on its imports, including critical inputs for agriculture and manufacturing. That has driven down agricultural and industrial production. To save money, Cuba stopped foreign joint ventures from repatriating profits."
Are university safe spaces killing intellectual growth?
Our experience of time may be blinding us to its true nature, say scientists.
- Time may not be passing at all, says the Block Universe Theory.
- Time travel may be possible.
- Your perception of time is likely relative to you and limited.
From questionable shipwrecks to outright attacks, they clearly don't want to be bothered.
- Many have tried to contact the Sentinelese, to write about them, or otherwise.
- But the inhabitants of the 23 square mile island in the Bay of Bengal don't want anything to do with the outside world.
- Their numbers are unknown, but either 40 or 500 remain.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.