Cracking Voices and Young Breasts
"Boys’ voices are breaking earlier; girls are developing breasts as young as six. But why?" Danish researchers began investigating when a church choir could not find enough pre-pubescent boys.
"Boys’ voices are breaking earlier; girls are developing breasts as young as six. But why?" Danish researchers began investigating when a church choir could not find enough pre-pubescent boys. "Most paediatric endocrinologists now agree that the age of puberty is falling fast in developed nations. But there is no consensus on why. The changes are happening too fast to be genetic, so the focus is on environmental factors. Obesity, chemicals and even absentee fathers have all been investigated (a girl who lives apart from her father tends to get her period earlier)."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
In his final years, Martin Luther King, Jr. become increasingly focused on the problem of poverty in America.
- Despite being widely known for his leadership role in the American civil rights movement, Martin Luther King, Jr. also played a central role in organizing the Poor People's Campaign of 1968.
- The campaign was one of the first to demand a guaranteed income for all poor families in America.
- Today, the idea of a universal basic income is increasingly popular, and King's arguments in support of the policy still make a good case some 50 years later.
10 of the most sandbagging, red-herring, and effective logical fallacies.
- Many an otherwise-worthwhile argument has been derailed by logical fallacies.
- Sometimes these fallacies are deliberate tricks, and sometimes just bad reasoning.
- Avoiding these traps makes disgreeing so much better.
For Damien Echols, tattoos are part of his existential armor.
- In prison Damien Echols was known by his number SK931, not his name, and had his hair sheared off. Stripped of his identity, the only thing he had left was his skin.
- This is why he began tattooing things that are meaningful to him — to carry a "suit of armor" made up the images of the people and objects that have significance to him, from his friends to talismans.
- Echols believes that all places are imbued with divinity: "If you interact with New York City as if there's an intelligence behind... then it will behave towards you the same way."
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.