Could Super-Batteries Replace the Energy Grid?
A company that makes low-cost batteries for high energy storage will begin scaling production soon in Pennsylvania, looking to replace power grids in the developing world.
What's the Latest Development?
A company that makes low-cost, high-storage batteries is set to scale their production in a Pennsylvania factory. Just outside Pittsburgh, Aquion Energy will retrofit an old Sony television factory to produce batteries designed to store energy from renewable energy sources like wind farms and solar panels. "The first applications are expected to be in countries like India, where hundreds of millions of people in communities outside major cities don't have a connection to the electrical grid or any other reliable source of electricity."
What's the Big Idea?
Just as cellphone towers brought telephone access to communities without traditional land line infrastructure, batteries could bring electricity to underdeveloped communities. The technology could also benefit industrialized countries by providing power to the grid at times of peak energy usage. Currently, the cost of the batteries are $300 per kilowatt-hour, far cheaper than lithium-ion cells but still too expensive to compete with natural gas in the US. The batteries are made from a relatively safe and cheap water-based electrolyte.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
Upload your mind? Here's a reality check on the Singularity.
- Though computer engineers claim to know what human consciousness is, many neuroscientists say that we're nowhere close to understanding what it is, or its source.
- Scientists are currently trying to upload human minds to silicon chips, or re-create consciousness with algorithms, but this may be hubristic because we still know so little about what it means to be human.
- Is transhumanism a journey forward or an escape from reality?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.