Cost of Unis Snuggling Up to Business
The Guardian: For the LSE, in thrall to a dictator, Gaddafi was pure roast duck. The school's association with Libya's leader illustrates the predicament now facing all UK universities.
Simon Jenkins: Pity the poor university. Told for 25 years to get into bed with big money, the London School of Economics found big money sometimes stinks. This week, as the Blairites bobbed and weaved their way out of the sleazy embrace of their friend, Gaddafi of Libya, someone forgot to tell the old school tie. The LSE thought it was helping the cause by giving Gaddafi's son a dodgy PhD, for which it accepted a £1.5m "donation". When the Blairites did a runner, the LSE was left looking like Bugs Moran's gang after the St Valentine's Day massacre.
The stories we tell define history. So who gets the mic in America?
- History is written by lions. But it's also recorded by lambs.
- Including different voices can paint a more full and vibrant portrait of America. Which is why more walks of American life can and should be storytellers.
A glass of juice has as much sugar, ounce for ounce, as a full-calorie soda. And those vitamins do almost nothing.
Quick: think back to childhood (if you've reached the scary clown you've gone too far). What did your parents or guardians give you to keep you quiet? If you're anything like most parents, it was juice. But here's the thing: juice is bad for you.
Orangutans join humans and bees in a very exclusive club
- Orangutan mothers wait to sound a danger alarm to avoid tipping off predators to their location
- It took a couple of researchers crawling around the Sumatran jungle to discover the phenomenon
- This ability may come from a common ancestor
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.