Competition Comes to Space Industry
The private rocket company Space-X is currently developing the Falcon Heavy, a heavy-lift rocket capable of carrying twice the payload of current rockets at half the cost.
What's the Latest Development?
The private pace venture Space-X is investing money into the Vandenberg Air Force Base to make its facilities suitable for launching rockets into space. Space-X's latest project is a heavy-lift vehicle called Falcon Heavy which it expects can carry a payload of 117,000 pounds in low Earth orbit. This is double the current limit of 50,000 pounds that can be carried by Boeing/Lockheed Martin's heavy lift vehicle. Space-X says each launch of its Falcon Heavy will cost only half as much as the rocket the Air Force currently depends on to launch satellites.
What's the Big Idea?
Competition has come to the space industry, and not a moment too soon. After space shuttle Atlantis completes its final mission this month to restock the International Space Station (I.S.S.), N.A.S.A. will no longer have the capability to launch astronauts into space. Space-X has already been contracted to restock the I.S.S. when its heavy-lift vehicle is operational. The company's main goal is to attract government contracts, specifically armed forces missions to launch space satellites. Currently the military relies on a joint launch venture controlled by Boeing and Lockheed Martin.
We are constantly trying to force the world to look like us — we need to move on.
- When the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, many Americans jumped for joy. At the time, some believed there weren't going to be any more political disagreements anywhere in the world. They thought American democracy had won the "war of ideas."
- American exceptionalism has sought to create a world order that's really a mirror image of ourselves — a liberal world order founded on the DNA of American thinking. To many abroad this looks like ethnic chauvinism.
- We need to move on from this way of thinking, and consider that sometimes "problem-solving," in global affairs, means the world makes us look like how it wants to be.
Scientists make an important discovery for the future of computing.
- Researchers find a new state of matter called "topological superconductivity".
- The state can lead to important advancements in quantum computing.
- Utilizing special particles that emerge during this state can lead to error-free data storage and blazing calculation speed.
French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- The French government initially invested in a rural solar roadway in 2016.
- French newspapers report that the trial hasn't lived up to expectations.
- Solar panel "paved" roadways are proving to be inefficient and too expensive.