¿Cómo Se Dice "Netflix"?
Hoping to grab more of a growing market, the company has announced that it will release its first original Spanish-language comedy series next year.
What's the Latest Development?
Netflix has announced a 2015 release for its first-ever original Spanish-language series, an as-yet-untitled 13-episode comedy from the team that produced last year's Mexican box-office hit Nosotros los Nobles. That movie's director, Gary Alazraki, wanted to keep the crew around for another project. That project will revolve around the world of professional soccer -- or, to be precise, fútbol -- and will be shot in Mexico with a cast of actors from all over Latin America.
What's the Big Idea?
Currently Netflix operates in 41 countries and has produced almost two dozen original series, specials, and other films, most of them containing exclusively English dialogue. (The first season of its first original series, Lilyhammer (2012), contained a considerable amount of Norwegian.) Most content available to viewers in non-English-speaking countries reflects what's already popular in their particular market. The decision to create a Spanish-language series indicates the company's desire for increased growth outside the US. Filmmakers in France and Germany might want to keep an eye out: Analysts are predicting that that's where Netflix is heading next.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Sharon Salzberg, world-renowned mindfulness leader, teaches meditation at Big Think Edge.
- Try meditation for the first time with this guided lesson or, if you already practice, enjoy being guided by a world-renowned meditation expert.
- Sharon Salzberg teaches mindfulness meditation for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
The navigation tool has placed a school in the sea, among other things.
- Google has apologized for the sudden instability of its maps in Japan.
- Errors may stem from Google's long-time map data provider Zenrin – or from the cancellation of its contract.
- Speculation on the latter option caused Zenrin shares to drop 16% last Friday.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
A new computer model solves a pair of Jovian riddles.
- Astronomers have wondered how a gas giant like Jupiter could sit in the middle of our solar system's planets.
- Also unexplained has been the pair of asteroid clusters in front of and behind Jupiter in its orbit.
- Putting the two questions together revealed the answer to both.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.