¿Cómo Se Dice "Netflix"?
Hoping to grab more of a growing market, the company has announced that it will release its first original Spanish-language comedy series next year.
What's the Latest Development?
Netflix has announced a 2015 release for its first-ever original Spanish-language series, an as-yet-untitled 13-episode comedy from the team that produced last year's Mexican box-office hit Nosotros los Nobles. That movie's director, Gary Alazraki, wanted to keep the crew around for another project. That project will revolve around the world of professional soccer -- or, to be precise, fútbol -- and will be shot in Mexico with a cast of actors from all over Latin America.
What's the Big Idea?
Currently Netflix operates in 41 countries and has produced almost two dozen original series, specials, and other films, most of them containing exclusively English dialogue. (The first season of its first original series, Lilyhammer (2012), contained a considerable amount of Norwegian.) Most content available to viewers in non-English-speaking countries reflects what's already popular in their particular market. The decision to create a Spanish-language series indicates the company's desire for increased growth outside the US. Filmmakers in France and Germany might want to keep an eye out: Analysts are predicting that that's where Netflix is heading next.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
The rise of anti-scientific thinking and conspiracy is a concerning trend.
- Fifty years later after one of the greatest achievements of mankind, there's a growing number of moon landing deniers. They are part of a larger trend of anti-scientific thinking.
- Climate change, anti-vaccination and other assorted conspiratorial mindsets are a detriment and show a tangible impediment to fostering real progress or societal change.
- All of these separate anti-scientific beliefs share a troubling root of intellectual dishonesty and ignorance.
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.