Coming Soon: An SUV That Runs Exclusively On Hydrogen
Hyundai's ix35 Fuel Cell, unveiled this week, is expected to hit the consumer market in 2015 as the world's first mass-produced hydrogen-powered vehicle.
What's the Latest Development?
This week Hyundai announced that it had begun mass production of its ix35 Fuel Cell, an SUV that uses hydrogen fuel cells exclusively and emits only water vapor. The ix35 was modeled after the company's Tucson SUV, and comes with similar options such as heated seats. It also comes with a fairly high price tag -- over $100,000 -- but that price is expected to drop over time as fuel cell systems become more affordable. Hyundai isn't offering the car to consumers right now, but plans to do so in 2015.
What's the Big Idea?
Hydrogen fuel systems, which produce electricity by combining hydrogen with oxygen, have been around for a while. Most notably, NASA used them for the space shuttles and the modules used in the Apollo missions. Because there aren't many refueling stations, hydrogen-powered cars may be best suited for government fleets that are required to return to the same location each night. In this, the European Union is expected to take the lead: It has already begun building a network of stations, and the city of Copenhagen has ordered 15 ix35 vehicles.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.