Cohabitation Healthier than Marriage?
People in a romantic relationship are generally healthier than those who are not. But when it comes to marriage, just living with your loved one, without the certificate, may prove healthier.
What's the Latest Development?
New analysis of scientific data suggests that simply living with your loved one, without securing a marriage certificate, may be healthier than matrimony in some important respects. A national survey of nearly 3,000 men and women, which tracked the individuals' emotional and physical health over six years, found that romantic couples living together, but not married, reported being happier and having greater self-esteem than their married counterparts.
What's the Big Idea?
Married couples reported better physical health than cohabitants, perhaps due to benefits like spousal health insurance, the study reports. The larger conclusion, however, is that marriage is not as necessary to society as is sometimes thought. Gary Lee, professor of sociology at Bowling Green State University in Ohio, said the study demonstrates it is 'incredibly naive' to view marriage as the solution to society's problems. 'In today's economic environment, marriage does not bring the same financial benefits as it used it,' he said.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Universities claim to prepare students for the world. How many actually do it?
- Many university mission statements do not live up to their promise, writes Ben Nelson, founder of Minerva, a university designed to develop intellect over content memorization.
- The core competencies that students need for success—critical thinking, communication, problem solving, and cross-cultural understanding, for example—should be intentionally taught, not left to chance.
- These competencies can be summed up with one word: wisdom. True wisdom is the ability to apply one's knowledge appropriately when faced with novel situations.
This is what the world will look like, 250 million years from now
To us humans, the shape and location of oceans and continents seems fixed. But that's only because our lives are so short.
SpaceX's momentous Crew Dragon launch is a sign of things to come for the space industry, and humanity's future.
- SpaceX was founded in 2002 and was an industry joke for many years. Eighteen years later, it is the first private company to launch astronauts to the International Space Station.
- Today, SpaceX's Crew Dragon launched NASA astronauts Bob Behnken and Doug Hurley to the ISS. The journey will take about 19 hours.
- Dylan Taylor, chairman and CEO of Voyager Space Holdings, looks at SpaceX's journey from startup to a commercial space company with the operating power of a nation-state.
A new study may help us better understand how children build social cognition through caregiver interaction.
Researchers at UT Southwestern noted a 47 percent increase in blood flow to regions associated with memory.