China Dominating Solar Energy Market
Thanks to huge loans from the Chinese Government, solar manufacturing has shifted from being led by a geographically disperse group to one dominated by Chinese companies.
What's the Latest Development?
The solar manufacturing sector has gone from being led by a geographically disperse group of companies to one dominated by the Chinese. Thanks to huge loans from the Chinese Development Bank, Chinese solar companies are pushing American solar firms out of the market. "The Chinese strategy is very clear. They are engaging in predatory financing and they're trying to drive everybody else out of the market."
What's the Big Idea?
This has enabled China's solar producers to grow to gigawatt scale in a very short period of time, turning the country into a leading exporter of solar and pushing down prices dramatically. From a project development perspective, the steep price drops are a very good thing. But manufacturers trying to make product outside of China and other Asian countries are getting hit hard.
Malcolm Gladwell teaches "Get over yourself and get to work" for Big Think Edge.
- Learn to recognize failure and know the big difference between panicking and choking.
- At Big Think Edge, Malcolm Gladwell teaches how to check your inner critic and get clear on what failure is.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
It's one of the most consistent patterns in the unviverse. What causes it?
- Spinning discs are everywhere – just look at our solar system, the rings of Saturn, and all the spiral galaxies in the universe.
- Spinning discs are the result of two things: The force of gravity and a phenomenon in physics called the conservation of angular momentum.
- Gravity brings matter together; the closer the matter gets, the more it accelerates – much like an ice skater who spins faster and faster the closer their arms get to their body. Then, this spinning cloud collapses due to up and down and diagonal collisions that cancel each other out until the only motion they have in common is the spin – and voila: A flat disc.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
Do you have a magnetic compass in your head?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.