Charge Your Cell Phone with Water
Novel mobile phone chargers are on display at the Mobile World Conference in Barcelona, demonstrating innovative fixes to the growing energy requirement of our mobile devices.
What's the Latest Development?
The World Mobile Conference, currently underway in Barcelona, is the industry's showcase for new and innovative technology. This year, a Swedish company called myFC has introduced a portable charging system for mobile phones that needs just one teaspoon of water to generate enough electricity to charge a phone. "A Californian firm, meanwhile, has launched a phone that it claims can remain charged for up to 15 years, making it the perfect spare in emergencies or disasters." Wireless charging is another staple of this year's conference.
What's the Big Idea?
We are increasingly demanding of our mobile devices, wanting them to perform greater feats while feeling ever-more inconvenienced by having to charge them. "The difference between the energy on a phone and the energy we consume is increasing. We need to charge more often but you don't want to be hooked onto a wall," said myFC executive Bjorn Westerholm. For everyday purposes, wireless charging mats may hold great promise. Mobile devices fitted with a special case could be charged by mats located in offices, cars and restaurants.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.