Can Twitter Bots Facilitate Social Bliss?
Researchers have found that using automated Twitter accounts, or Twitter bots, can bridge social gaps by creating more connections between users than a human community left alone.
What's the Latest Development?
For those seeking more online exposure, companies exist which claim to increase your visibility on Twitter by garnering followers for you. Some companies use Twitter bots, or automated Twitter accounts that look like humans but are not. An independent research group which studies the dynamics of social media, called the Web Ecology project, has found that Twitter bots attract users and retweets even though they are machines. What was most interesting is that the Twitter bots changed patterns of human interaction.
What's the Big Idea?
Researchers found that Twitter bots, in a community of 300 Twitter users, increased follows by 43 percent over a control group composed only of humans. In other words, normal patterns of human-to-human communication were amplified—new introductions were made between users and those users started communicating. Imagine if bots were able to connect human communities across artificial boundaries where the stigma of fraternization is often the major impediment to a more constructive and empathetic conversation.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Sharon Salzberg, world-renowned mindfulness leader, teaches meditation at Big Think Edge.
- Try meditation for the first time with this guided lesson or, if you already practice, enjoy being guided by a world-renowned meditation expert.
- Sharon Salzberg teaches mindfulness meditation for Big Think Edge.
- Subscribe to Big Think Edge before we launch on March 30 to get 20% off monthly and annual memberships.
The navigation tool has placed a school in the sea, among other things.
- Google has apologized for the sudden instability of its maps in Japan.
- Errors may stem from Google's long-time map data provider Zenrin – or from the cancellation of its contract.
- Speculation on the latter option caused Zenrin shares to drop 16% last Friday.
Both panoramic and detailed, this infographic manages to show both the size and distribution of world religions.
- At a glance, this map shows both the size and distribution of world religions.
- See how religions mix at both national and regional level.
- There's one country in the Americas without a Christian majority – which?
A new computer model solves a pair of Jovian riddles.
- Astronomers have wondered how a gas giant like Jupiter could sit in the middle of our solar system's planets.
- Also unexplained has been the pair of asteroid clusters in front of and behind Jupiter in its orbit.
- Putting the two questions together revealed the answer to both.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.