Can Open Source Save the World?
Fusion energy expert Marcin Jakubowski has begun an open sourced hardware project that allows individuals to create their own simple tools to build stronger, more sustainable communities.
What's the Latest Development?
An open source hardware program is giving individuals and communities information on how to create their own simple tools so they can living more sustainably. The program, Open Source Ecology, was founded by nuclear fusion expert Marcin Jakubowski after lamenting that his PhD had left him with few practical skills. After moving to a farm in Missouri and fixing one too many broken tractors, he published 3D designs, schematics, how-to videos and budgets for the construction of 50 different industrial machines using an online wiki.
What's the Big Idea?
The open source principle, that tools for improving the quality of life should be available to everyone and that everyone should have a say in improving them, began in the world of software. Today, there are more and more experiments with open source hardware. Jakubowki's goal is to "create an open society, where everybody's needs are met, and where everybody has access to information, material productivity, and just governance systems—such that human creativity is unleashed, for all people."
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
- The meaning of the word 'confidence' seems obvious. But it's not the same as self-esteem.
- Confidence isn't just a feeling on your inside. It comes from taking action in the world.
- Join Big Think Edge today and learn how to achieve more confidence when and where it really matters.
- Bad outcomes get criticized as evidence of bad decisions, but that's not necessarily so.
- Here, poker pro Annie Duke desribes a simple thought experiment that separates decisions from outcomes.
- It is quite possible to make a very good decision that, due to external factors, results in a bad outcome.
Decide to Play Great Poker: A Strategy Guide to No-Limit Texas Hold '’Em
Lauren Miranda sent a nude selfie to a boyfriend years ago. Somehow one of her students discovered it.
- Math teacher Lauren Miranda was fired from her Long Island school when a topless selfie surfaced.
- Miranda had only shared the photo with her ex-boyfriend, who is also a teacher in the school district.
- She's suing the school for $3 million as well as getting her job back, citing gender discrimination.
If you're lacking confidence and feel like you could benefit from an ego boost, try writing your life story.
In truth, so much of what happens to us in life is random – we are pawns at the mercy of Lady Luck. To take ownership of our experiences and exert a feeling of control over our future, we tell stories about ourselves that weave meaning and continuity into our personal identity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.