Cambridge Physicists Find Wormhole Proof
Physicists at the University of Cambridge have found a theoretical foundation for the existence of wormholes, which are tubes that connect two different points in space-time.
What's the Latest?
Physicists at the University of Cambridge have found a theoretical foundation for the existence of wormholes, which are tubes that connect two different points in space-time. If a piece of information or physical object could pass through the wormhole, it could open the door to time travel or instant communication across enormous distances. "But there's a problem: Einstein's wormholes are notoriously unstable, and they don't stay open long enough for anything to get through." In 1988, physicists reached the conclusion that a kind of negative energy called Casimir energy could keep wormholes open.
What's the Big Idea?
The theoretical solution reached at Cambridge has to do with the effects of quantum energy, which tells us that even vacuums are teaming with waves of energy. If you imagine two metal plates in a vacuum, some waves of energy would be too big to fit between the plates, meaning that the space-time between the plates would have negative energy. "[U]nder the right circumstances, could the tube-like shape of the wormhole itself generate Casimir energy? Calculations show that if the wormhole's throat is orders of magnitude longer then the width of its mouth, it does indeed create Casimir energy at its centre."
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.