Breaking News: Obama Rejects Keystone XL Pipeline
In response to a federally mandated deadline of February 21, the Obama administration has rejected a Canadian company's application to build an oil pipeline that crosses US territory.
What's the Latest Development?
In response to a federally mandated deadline of February 21, the Obama administration has rejected a Canadian company's application to build an oil pipeline from Canada's tar sands to the American gulf. "However, the administration will allow TransCanada to reapply after it develops an alternate route through the sensitive habitat of Nebraska's Sandhills." The administration originally delayed approval of the pipeline because the proposed route crosses over the nation's largest water aquifer, located in the Sandhills.
What's the Big Idea?
The rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline may prove a serious setback for Canada, which is increasingly eager to export the lucrative crude found in its tar sands. This year, Canada became the first and only nation to withdraw from the Kyoto protocol, a treat which requires carbon emission reductions. Until the recent rise in cost of oil, in both political and financial terms, Canada's tar sands were considered too cost inefficient to exploit. The process of removing oil remains difficult and requires energy-intensive processing.
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.