Breadfruit: Miracle Food from the Future
The breadfruit is football-sized prickly fruit full of nutrients and energy. It grows on one of the world's highest-yielding trees and backers say it could help alleviate world hunger.
What's the Latest Development?
Breadfruit, a football-sized prickly fruit native to Pacific islands, is a staple of people's diets from Africa to the Caribbean. Now, some horticulturalists want to promote it as a solution to the world's food security problems. But persuading newcomers to eat the fruit has proven to be a challenge because its starchy quality gives the fruit a very bland taste. This month, the Breadfruit Institute is organizing a cooking competition in Captain Cook, Hawaii where chefs will find new ways to boil, mash, steam, roast, pickle and ferment the fruit.
What's the Big Idea?
The breadfruit has unique qualities that make it well-suited to feeding large populations. "One tree, a member of the fig family, can produce 450 pounds of fruit per season. The fruit packs 121 calories in a half-cup serving and is rich in fiber, potassium, phosphorous, calcium, copper and other nutrients. Its texture and yeasty odor remind some people of fresh bread." The plan to promote breadfruit has attracted eBay founder Pierre Omidyar, a Hawaiian resident, who has organized a team of experts to encourage its growth.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.