Blase on Sex With People
Why are young men in porn-rich Japan growing indifferent or even averse to sex with live partners? Today's synthetic hyperstimulation triggers more potent dopamine trips.
"Young Japanese men are growing indifferent or even averse to sex, while married couples are starting to have it even less," reports The Japan Times, citing a 2010 poll. Japan isn't alone. In France, a 2008 survey found that 20 percent of younger French men had no interest in sex. "Japan has lots of porn. An unholy amount, in fact, probably more than any country in Asia or Europe." So, the issue is not whether young men are interested in orgasm. Their heavy porn use shows they are. The issue is why they aren't interested in sex with live partners.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A completely unexpected discovery beneath the ice.
- Scientists find remains of a tardigrade and crustaceans in a deep, frozen Antarctic lake.
- The creatures' origin is unknown, and further study is ongoing.
- Biology speaks up about Antarctica's history.
Jeff Bezos, the founder of Amazon.com, explains his plan for success.
- Jeff Bezos had a clear vision for Amazon.com from the start.
- He was inspired by a statistic he learned while working at a hedge fund: In the '90s, web usage was growing at 2,300% a year.
- Bezos explains why books, in particular, make for a perfect item to sell on the internet.
It's one factor that can help explain the religiosity gap.
- Sociologists have long observed a gap between the religiosity of men and women.
- A recent study used data from several national surveys to compare religiosity, risk-taking preferences and demographic information among more than 20,000 American adolescents.
- The results suggest that risk-taking preferences might partly explain the gender differences in religiosity.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.