Berliners Protest Barbie's New Dream House
Ever the lightening rod for public controversy, the opening of a Barbie Dream House in the center of Berlin provided occasion for protest and reflection on sexism and the state of capitalism.
What's the Latest Development?
The once-gritty city of Berlin is getting a make over, an afternoon that Barbie would surely approve of. Two interactive, life-size dollhouses launched recently as Barbie maker Mattel's latest effort to expand the doll's franchise. One of the dollhouses in central Berlin was recently protested against by the anti-capitalist group Junge Linke. "The demonstration—dubbed 'Occupy Barbie Dreamhouse'—was a culmination of weeks of planning, visiting schools and distributing over 7,000 hot pink fliers with a clenched fist punching through the phrase 'The Barbie Dreamhouse Experience.'"
What's the Big Idea?
The Junge Linke argues that Barbie represents proletariat repression and a consumerist society set in place by power-hungry capitalists. "It would be a huge danger for capitalism if working men and women were united, so one of the best ways to divide and conquer the workers is by enabling men to over-sexualize women and by preoccupying women with sexualizing themselves," said group leader Michael Koschitzki, 27 years old. "This is why we need to oppose Barbie." A similar dream house opened recently in Florida where its American audience staged no such protest.
Photo credit: Shutterstock.com
We're more dependent on them than we realize.
- Scientists says our survival depends on biodiversity.
- A natural climate strategy we often forget.
- Seeing our place among the Earth's living creatures.
There's a high social cost that comes with lighting up.
While short-term results are positive, there is mounting evidence against staying in ketosis for too long.
- Recent studies showed volunteers lost equal or more weight on high-carb, calorie-restricted diets than low-carb, calorie restricted diets.
- There might be positive benefits to short-term usage of a ketogenic diet.
- One dietician warns that the ketogenic diet could put diabetics at risk for diabetic ketoacidosis.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.