Behind the Veil
Yassin Musharbash writes that banning women from wearing burqas won't solve the underlying problems of Muslim immigration and integration that plague Western societies.
With Belgium set to join France in banning women from wearing the burqa or niqab in public, Yassin Musharbash writes that getting rid of the garment won't solve the underlying problems of Muslim immigration and integration that plague Western societies. "Europe stands for the idea of a lively, open, democratic society," she writes. "When part of the society removes itself (or is removed) from these ideals, then that is a problem. However, bans don't make these ideals clearer or more palatable, don't encourage participation, and don't break down any barriers. "
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Is it "perverseness," the "death drive," or something else?
Eight-dimensional octonions may hold the clues to solve fundamental mysteries.
- Physicists discover complex numbers called octonions that work in 8 dimensions.
- The numbers have been found linked to fundamental forces of reality.
- Understanding octonions can lead to a new model of physics.
It's up to us humans to re-humanize our world. An economy that prioritizes growth and profits over humanity has led to digital platforms that "strip the topsoil" of human behavior, whole industries, and the planet, giving less and less back. And only we can save us.
- It's an all-hands-on-deck moment in the arc of civilization.
- Everyone has a choice: Do you want to try to earn enough money to insulate yourself from the world you're creating— or do you want to make the world a place you don't have to insulate yourself from?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.