Because Car Owners' Manuals Are So 2010
For some of its car models, Audi has provided a free augmented reality app that allows an owner to get information about a certain component simply by pointing a mobile device at it.
What's the Latest Development?
Owners of the Audi A3 can now get a little extra help with their cars, thanks to an augmented reality app created in conjunction with software developer Metaio. eKurzInfo contains information about over 300 components, both inside the passenger compartment and under the hood. Accessing this data is as simple as pointing the device at the component. A video demonstrating the feature shows how the app can call attention to potential problems: It can tell the owner what it means when the coolant temperature gauge is in the red zone, as well as where to put more coolant. For now, the free app is only available for iOS; an Android version is forthcoming.
What's the Big Idea?
In addition to saving owners time spent looking for and then flipping through a paper manual, the eKurzInfo app never has to be updated, since its data comes from the cloud. In a press release on the Metaio Web site, CEO Dr. Thomas Alt says, "We see enormous potential in the field of interactive service applications. In the future it will be possible to automatically retrieve the specific information relevant in a certain situation." The new app joins a similar version for the A1 model; that app was nominated for a 2013 Global Mobile Award.
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
The Canadian professor has an extensive collection posted on his site.
- Peterson's Great Books list features classics by Orwell, Jung, Huxley, and Dostoevsky.
- Categories include literature, neuroscience, religion, and systems analysis.
- Having recently left Patreon for "freedom of speech" reasons, Peterson is taking direct donations through Paypal (and Bitcoin).
Cosmologists propose a groundbreaking model of the universe using string theory.
- A new paper uses string theory to propose a new model of the universe.
- The researchers think our universe may be riding a bubble expanded by dark energy.
- All matter in the universe may exist in strings that reach into another dimension.
Despite incredible economic growth, it is not necessarily an investor's paradise.
- China's stock market is just 27 years old. It's economy has grown 30x over that time.
- Imagine if you had invested early and gotten in on the ground floor.
- Actually, you would have lost money. Here's how that's possible.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.