Automated Oil Markups & Speculation
Trader Anthony Grisanti claims that market consolidation and electronic trading have driven up the price of oil and taken the power out of the hands of the traditional pit trader.
Gone from the building are the traders who dealt in silver, gold, orange juice, cotton, cocoa and sugar. The change has not been for the better, says pit trader Anthony Grisanti. "The market can be easily manipulated. The transparency level has gone right down—black boxes control the market now." Hedge funds and big banks such as Goldman Sachs pile in and out in fractions of a second; speculation is at an all-time high and prices have never been so volatile, he says. According to Grisanti, the market is now full of "icebergs"—trades that appear small on the surface but turn out to be huge on close inspection. Prices are driven up by wild speculation and there appears to be no accountability, he says.
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
How you talk to people with drug addiction might save their life.
- Addiction is a learning disorder; it's not a sign that someone is a bad person.
- Tough love doesn't help drug-addicted people. Research shows that the best way to get people help is through compassion, empathy and support. Approach them as an equal human being deserving of respect.
- As a first step to recovery, Maia Szalavitz recommends the family or friends of people with addiction get them a complete psychiatric evaluation by somebody who is not affiliated with any treatment organization. Unfortunately, warns Szalavitz, some people will try to make a profit off of an addicted person without informing them of their full options.
These photos of scientific heroes and accomplishments inspire awe and curiosity.
- Science has given humanity an incalculable boost over the recent centuries, changing our lives in ways both awe-inspiring and humbling.
- Fortunately, photography, a scientific feat in and of itself, has recorded some of the most important events, people and discoveries in science, allowing us unprecedented insight and expanding our view of the world.
- Here are some of the most important scientific photos of history:
China's Chang'e 4 biosphere experiment marks a first for humankind.
- China's Chang'e 4 lunar lander touched down on the far side of the moon on January 3.
- In addition to a lunar rover, the lander carried a biosphere experiment that contains five sets of plants and some insects.
- The experiment is designed to test how astronauts might someday grow plants in space to sustain long-term settlements.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.