Automated Oil Markups & Speculation
Trader Anthony Grisanti claims that market consolidation and electronic trading have driven up the price of oil and taken the power out of the hands of the traditional pit trader.
Gone from the building are the traders who dealt in silver, gold, orange juice, cotton, cocoa and sugar. The change has not been for the better, says pit trader Anthony Grisanti. "The market can be easily manipulated. The transparency level has gone right down—black boxes control the market now." Hedge funds and big banks such as Goldman Sachs pile in and out in fractions of a second; speculation is at an all-time high and prices have never been so volatile, he says. According to Grisanti, the market is now full of "icebergs"—trades that appear small on the surface but turn out to be huge on close inspection. Prices are driven up by wild speculation and there appears to be no accountability, he says.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.