Auction House Plans To Conduct A Digital Art Auction
Working in collaboration with Tumblr, Phillips' "Paddles ON!" will auction off preselected works of digital art both live and online. It will also display the works in a special show at their physical gallery on New York City's Park Avenue.
What's the Latest Development?
Auction house Phillips has announced that it will work with Tumblr to hold its first-ever digital art auction event early next month. Titled "Paddles ON!" the featured works will be auctioned off both online and in a live venue, and some will be displayed at Phillips' gallery space in New York City. Eighty percent of proceeds from the auction will go to the artists themselves, and the remainder will go to Rhizome, a nonprofit organization that promotes and preserves contemporary digital art.
What's the Big Idea?
The Phillips/Tumblr project isn't the first to attempt to sell original digital artwork; innovators have been putting prices on such works for years. Another upcoming art show, Net Worth, "will sell forgeries of net art created by other artists and sold via [Bitcoin]" to demonstrate differences between physical and digital art markets. Considering the many different kinds of art floating around online, it may seem hard to define what it means to actually own a work. According to Alex Chung, co-founder of GIF hosting site Giphy, "[T]he same established [copyright] rules of photography cover that of digital art...They all fall under copyright law, just physical art is harder to replicate versus photography or digital art."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
As you vote, keep in mind that we are looking for a winner with the most engaging social venture pitch - an idea you would want to invest in.
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites are locations of high value to humanity, either for their cultural, historical, or natural significance.
- Some are even designated as World Heritage Sites because humans don't go there at all, while others have felt the effects of too much human influence.
- These 7 UNESCO World Heritage Sites each represent an overlooked or at-risk facet of humanity's collective cultural heritage.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.