Are Gender Categories Still Relevant in the Modern World?
How important is gender to accessing different rights as a citizen? If gender categories are from a bygone area that restricted women's rights, why shouldn't we eliminate them all together?
What's the Latest Development?
To address the contemporary transgender dilemma, the Australian government now offers three options on its national passports: male, female, and indeterminate. The government's move was a response to growing social concerns over prescribed gender roles. When Jenna Talackova reached the final round of Canada's Miss Universe pageant, for example, she ignited controversy after being disqualified for not being a 'natural born' female, despite having begun hormone treatment at 14 and having sex reassignment surgery at 19.
What's the Big Idea?
On our largest social network, the Internet, we constantly interact with individuals whose gender is not disclosed, nor do we consider it important to ask. Might official gender categories be relics of an era that denied women access to basic civil rights, from owning property to voting? "Perhaps eliminating the occasions on which this [gender] question is asked for no good reason would not only make life easier for those who can’t be squeezed into strict categories, but would also help to reduce inequality for women." Is the next advance in civil rights the elimination of official gender categories?
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
Even some teachers suffer from anxiety about math.
I teach people how to teach math, and I've been working in this field for 30 years. Across those decades, I've met many people who suffer from varying degrees of math trauma – a form of debilitating mental shutdown when it comes to doing mathematics.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
The legacy of Felix Dzerzhinsky, who led Soviet secret police in the "Red Terror," still confounds Russia.
- Felix Dzerzhinsky led the Cheka, Soviet Union's first secret police.
- The Cheka was infamous for executing thousands during the Red Terror of 1918.
- The Cheka later became the KGB, the spy organization where Russia's President Putin served for years.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.