App Makes Newspaper Readable For Both Adults And Kids
One of Japan's leading dailies teamed up with an advertising agency to create an app that translates articles into a more child-friendly format.
What's the Latest Development?
A collaboration between leading Japanese newspaper The Tokyo Shimbun and Tokyo-based ad agency Dentsu has led to the creation of a smartphone app that redisplays printed information in a child-friendly format when the phone is held over the paper. A promotional video shows articles appearing with animated cartoon characters, highlighted passages, and text character set switches from kanji to simpler hiragana, all while keeping the basic content intact. Articles aren't the only translatable parts of the paper: Several companies developed print ads that work with the app.
What's the Big Idea?
The app was designed "to create a future for the old media newspaper," according to the video. "Difficult articles and social problems, economy and politics became interesting subjects for children...The newspapers became a media read by both parent and child. And also an educational tool for children." Lecturer and blogger Paul Bradshaw is impressed: "[The app provides] two versions of the content - a grown-up one and the kids one. That has enormous potential. It also tackles a big gap in young readership."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.