App Calculates The Distance Between You And The Parking Meter
Once Parking Maestro receives information about the parking restrictions, it uses your location to let you know how long it'll take for you to get back before the meter maid or tow truck shows up.
What's the Latest Development?
In both Sydney and Brisbane, Mark Schroder found himself dealing with a problem that's all too common to drivers in big cities: knowing when to move his car from a restricted parking area. So he and Patrick Acheampong decided to create a solution using basic smartphone technology. The resulting app, Parking Maestro, uses the parking information provided by the user (via a smartphone scan of the parking sign or manual entering of data) to alert them when it's time to head back to the car in order to avoid a ticket or worse. It tracks the user's location to calculate the distance they'll have to travel.
What's the Big Idea?
Schroder says, "Whether I was at home, at work or going out with friends, I realised my car was nearly always parked in a restricted area...There are few people living in [the city] who have their own garage and don't have to worry about when their parking is expiring." He and Acheampong built the free iOS app with the help of ilab, a University of Queensland startup accelerator. Program director Bernie Woodcroft says he's excited for their future success: "Parking is a huge problem in the world's cities."
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
The Harvard psychologist loves reading authors' rules for writing. Here are his own.
- Steven Pinker is many things: linguist, psychologist, optimist, Harvard professor, and author.
- When it comes to writing, he's a student and a teacher.
- Here's are his 13 rules for writing better, more simply, and more clearly.
Thinking your life is worthwhile is correlated with a variety of positive outcomes.
- A new study finds that adults who feel their lives are meaningful have better health and life outcomes.
- Adults who felt their lives were worthwhile tended to be more social and had healthier habits.
- The findings could be used to help improve the health of older adults.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.