An Entrepreneurial Mind in Action
Everyone else just saw a trash truck idling at a pickup point, blocking traffic, smoke pouring out of its exhaust and litter everywhere. But Jim Poss saw opportunity for innovation.
What's the Latest Development?
In 2003, Jim Poss saw a smoke-belching trash truck blocking traffic and leaving litter in its wake. There has to be a better way, he thought. He got others involved, motivated both by environmental concern and likely financial success. The result? Big Belly—an innovation solving the problems he saw that day.
What's the Big Idea?
Entrepreneurial leaders like Jim Poss can turn garbage into opportunities by using three practices: relying on self and social awareness; employing cognitive ambidexterity (switching flexibly between 'prediction' and 'creation' approaches); and considering social, environmental, and economic value simultaneously.
A federal judge ruled that the Trump administration likely violated the reporter's Fifth Amendment rights when it stripped his press credentials earlier this month.
- Acosta will be allowed to return to the White House on Friday.
- The judge described the ruling as narrow, and didn't rule one way or the other on violations of the First Amendment.
- The case is still open, and the administration may choose to appeal the ruling.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
The definition of a kilogram will now be fixed to Planck's constant, a fundamental part of quantum physics.
- The new definition of a kilogram is based on a physical constant in quantum physics.
- Unlike the current definition of a kilogram, this measurement will never change.
- Scientists also voted to update the definitions of several other measurements in physics.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.