AI Creates Its Own Video Game
Artificial intelligence engineered by computer scientists at Imperial College London can create entirely new video games practically from scratch. The achievement is a milestone in AI technology.
What's the Latest Development?
Computer scientists at Imperial College London have engineered artificial intelligence that can create entirely new video games without the assistance of humans. Using a technique known as cooperative co-evolution, the AI known as Angelina has created a game called Space Station Invaders in which the levels were created "by randomly selecting from a list, then scattering enemies and power-ups throughout the level." It then simulates a human playing the game to determine which designs produce the most fun and interesting results.
What's the Big Idea?
While the computer scientists had to add in some rudimentary graphics and sound effects, the games Angelina is capable of creating would easily match the quality of those played by millions on Facebook and on smartphones. In principle, nothing would stop a game designer from cranking out a new game every twelve hours with Angelina, then bringing it to the App Store for sale. But the scientists say the technology works better as a collaborative tool for programmers than as a replacement for human workers. Follow the jump to play Angelina's game!
Photo credit: shutterstock.com
Swipe right to make the connections that could change your career.
Swipe right. Match. Meet over coffee or set up a call.
No, we aren't talking about Tinder. Introducing Shapr, a free app that helps people with synergistic professional goals and skill sets easily meet and collaborate.
A NASA astronomer explains how astronauts dispose of their, uh, dark matter.
- When nature calls in micro-gravity, astronauts must answer. Space agencies have developed suction-based toilets – with a camera built in to ensure all the waste is contained before "flushing".
- Yes, there have been floaters in space. The early days of space exploration were a learning curve!
- Amazingly, you don't need gravity to digest food. Peristalsis, the process by which your throat and intestines squeeze themselves, actually moves food and water through your digestive system without gravity at all.
She met mere mortals with and without the Vatican's approval.
- For centuries, the Virgin Mary has appeared to the faithful, requesting devotion and promising comfort.
- These maps show the geography of Marian apparitions – the handful approved by the Vatican, and many others.
- Historically, Europe is where most apparitions have been reported, but the U.S. is pretty fertile ground too.
A growing body of research shows promising signs that the keto diet might be able to improve mental health.
- The keto diet is known to be an effective tool for weight loss, however its effects on mental health remain largely unclear.
- Recent studies suggests that the keto diet might be an effective tool for treating depression, and clearing up so-called "brain fog," though scientists caution more research is necessary before it can be recommended as a treatment.
- Any experiments with the keto diet are best done in conjunction with a doctor, considering some people face problems when transitioning to the low-carb diet.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.