Big Think blogger Michio Kaku writes that a "perfect storm" of wind and ice conditions turned the Icelandic volcano eruption into a crisis. He gives three scenarios for what we can now expect.
Big Think blogger Michio Kaku writes that a "perfect storm" of wind and ice conditions turned the Icelandic volcano eruption into a crisis. He looks at three scenarios for what might come next, and suggests that in the wake of this crisis we need more active reconnaissance of volcanoes, stronger airplane windshields, and advanced filters that could be able to prevent damage to airplane engines.
A new AI-produced commercial from Lexus shows how AI might be particularly suited for the advertising industry.
- The commercial was written by IBM's Watson. It was acted and directed by humans.
- Lexus says humans played a minimal part in influencing Watson, in terms of the writing.
- Advertising, with its clearly defined goals and troves of data, seems like one creative field in which AI would prove particularly useful.
A study on flies may hold the key to future addiction treatments.
- A new study suggests that drinking alcohol can affect how memories are stored away as good or bad.
- This may have drastic implications for how addiction is caused and how people recall intoxication.
- The findings may one day lead to a new form of treatment for those suffering from addiction.
Then again, maybe the study is fake news too.
- Recent research challenged study participants to pick real news headlines from fake ones.
- The results showed that people prone to delusional thinking, religious fundamentalists, and dogmatists tended to believe all news, regardless of plausibility.
- What can you do to protect yourself and others from fake news?
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.