Afghanistan & the Auto Restructure
"Steven Rattner talks to Foreign Policy about how he pulled Detroit back from the brink -- and what lessons that success could have for Obama going forward. "
"On Afghanistan, to pick the most pressing foreign-policy question, the difference between that and the auto restructuring is that, in the case of the auto restructuring, we actually did have available to us a clear path forward that made sense. In the case of Afghanistan, they were faced with a series of equally unpleasant choices and none that people could look at and say, 'This is great; this is gonna work; let's do this.' So the president quite correctly devoted extra time to those discussions, and they were brutal. They were long, long discussions, and from everything I've heard, also very thoughtful and constructive."
Upvote/downvote each of the videos below!
Here are 7 often-overlooked World Heritage Sites, each with its own history.
An innovation may lead to lifelike evolving machines.
- Scientists at Cornell University devise a material with 3 key traits of life.
- The goal for the researchers is not to create life but lifelike machines.
- The researchers were able to program metabolism into the material's DNA.
A new method promises to capture an elusive dark world particle.
- Scientists working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) devised a method for trapping dark matter particles.
- Dark matter is estimated to take up 26.8% of all matter in the Universe.
- The researchers will be able to try their approach in 2021, when the LHC goes back online.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.