Affirmative Action's Anniversary
"Equal opportunity is essential but not enough," said LBJ forty five years ago to inaugurate an era of affirmative action. His words ring true today when the income gap is widening.
"Equal opportunity is essential but not enough," said LBJ forty five years ago to inaugurate an era of affirmative action. His words ring true today when the income gap is widening. "'Negro poverty is not white poverty.' The two might look alike, but for years African Americans had laboured, Johnson contended, under a 'blanket of history and circumstances' that had damaged the black family and provided young black men and women with inferior educations and limited job skills." The Guardian concludes that "Today, affirmative action needs to be put in historical perspective so that we can refocus on the widening economic gap between black and white Americans (for every dollar of wealth owned by a white family, a black or Latino family owns just 16 cents according to the Federal Reserve)."
Are university safe spaces killing intellectual growth?
Our experience of time may be blinding us to its true nature, say scientists.
- Time may not be passing at all, says the Block Universe Theory.
- Time travel may be possible.
- Your perception of time is likely relative to you and limited.
From questionable shipwrecks to outright attacks, they clearly don't want to be bothered.
- Many have tried to contact the Sentinelese, to write about them, or otherwise.
- But the inhabitants of the 23 square mile island in the Bay of Bengal don't want anything to do with the outside world.
- Their numbers are unknown, but either 40 or 500 remain.
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.