Adolescent Healthcare as Transition
A specialty known as adolescent medicine fills the gap for parents and young people who feel out of place in the pediatrician’s office, but unready for the primary care physicians who see adults.
Important mental and physical changes take place during adolescent years that justify increased attention to teenagers' health. "Some regular pediatricians make a point of talking with teenage patients without parents or caregivers listening in, but those private chats between doctor and patient are an essential component of adolescent medicine. 'We always spend time alone with the teen,' said Blythe, a professor of pediatrics at Indiana University School of Medicine in Indianapolis. 'This is a time frame in life where we know a lot of kids are going to be making decisions that impact their health, regardless of what the family wishes or wants them to do,' Blythe said."
New research links urban planning and political polarization.
- Canadian researchers find that excessive reliance on cars changes political views.
- Decades of car-centric urban planning normalized unsustainable lifestyles.
- People who prefer personal comfort elect politicians who represent such views.
Progressive America would be half as big, but twice as populated as its conservative twin.
- America's two political tribes have consolidated into 'red' and 'blue' nations, with seemingly irreconcilable differences.
- Perhaps the best way to stop the infighting is to go for a divorce and give the two nations a country each
- Based on the UN's partition plan for Israel/Palestine, this proposal provides territorial contiguity and sea access to both 'red' and 'blue' America
Science and the squishiness of the human mind. The joys of wearing whatever the hell you want, and so much more.
- Why can't we have a human-sized cat tree?
- What would happen if you got a spoonful of a neutron star?
- Why do we insist on dividing our wonderfully complex selves into boring little boxes
SMARTER FASTER trademarks owned by The Big Think, Inc. All rights reserved.